Gig Harbor is flexing it’s muscles April 8-9 at the annual Gig Harbor Paddlers Cup.
Come downtown Gig Harbor this weekend to Eddon Boat Park to watch or participate in this years Paddlers Cup Regatta. This annual event features racing of all paddle-type watercraft; kayaks, canoes, SUPs (Stand-up Paddlers), outriggers and para-canoes, as well as dragon boat races.
The event supports the National Champion Gig Harbor Canoe Kayak Racing Team (non-profit organization), who are the USA National Team Championships for 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015 and 2016.
Although it is fun to watch our national champs in action you DO NOT need to be a expert to join in. If you are a novice or youth (14 year min) you are welcome to race in either the Cross Narrows or Inner Harbor Races. Register at the event (see schedule below) and be sure to wear a Coast-Guard approved life jacket.
FRIDAY, APRIL 7, 2017 – 5:00pm-7:00pm
FREE Pre-Race Reception (The Club @ the Gig Harbor Marina and Boatyard)
Skip the lines on race day! Join us Friday 5-7 PM for a free pre-race reception at The Club @ The Boatyard Marina. Stop by for light refreshments, check-in early, and grab a bite at Gig Harbor’s famous JW Trolly, featuring a special pre-race menu for Paddlers Cup.
Saturday morning, Apr 8th – Cross Narrow Racing Crafts (crafts going out into the Tacoma Narrows open water)
Yes, you will see Paddlers take off going out of the harbor over to the Tacoma Narrows to Pt. Defiance and back- a total of 6.5 miles!
- 7-8am – Open Registration for any crafts going out into the Narrows open water
- 9am – S.U.P. Cross Narrows race to begin
- 9:05am – All other Cross Narrows Boats start race
- 12:15pm – Lunch-time Award Presentation for Cross Narrows Races
Saturday afternoon, Apr 8th Inner Harbor Races
- 9:15 – 10:15am – Inner Harbor Open Registration
- 11:00am – Inner Harbor Distance Races begin
- 1:30pm – the EXCITING Sprint Knock Off Races where competitors come head-to-head for a quick 150m knock-off battle
- 3:30pm – Award Presentations
Sunday Apr 9th
- 12:30pm – DRAGON BOAT RACES
- 3:30pm – Dragon Boat Award Presentations
If you haven’t seen Dragon Boats you need to come see these colorful boats decked out with dragon heads and racing to a drum beat.
Dragon Boat Racing is great fun for anyone. Any age or level of fitness can quickly adapt to this sport. If it looks interesting to you, you too can be a part of the team for the Spring & Summer by signing up The PenMet Parks website HERE.
While downtown Gig Harbor…
- Take a ride of the Gig Harbor Gondola
- Check out the Gig Harbor Marina where you can rent the Club @ the Boatyard venue for your private party or accommodations at the Guesthouse@ the Boatyard or the Fleet Suite Yacht or have a meeting at the Academy @ the Boatyard.
- Visit the Harbor History Museum, You need to know about your community history. Did you know that you can rent the museum for your private event? See all Rental details at this Harbor History Museum link.