Gig Harbor is flexing it’s muscles April 21-22 at the annual Gig Harbor Paddlers Cup.
Come downtown Gig Harbor this weekend to Skansie Brothers Park to watch or participate in this years Paddlers Cup Regatta. This annual event features racing of all paddle-type watercraft; kayaks, canoes, SUPs (Stand-up Paddlers), outriggers and para-canoes, as well as dragon boat races.
The event supports the National Champion Gig Harbor Canoe Kayak Racing Team (non-profit organization), who are the USA National Team Championships for 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015 and 2016.
Although it is fun to watch our national champs in action you DO NOT need to be a expert to join in. If you are a novice or youth (14 year min) you are welcome to race in either the Cross Narrows or Inner Harbor Races. Register at the event and be sure to wear a Coast-Guard approved life jacket.
Paddles Cup Kick-off Party FRIDAY, APRIL 20 – 5:30pm-8:00pm
Where: The Club @ the Boatyard at the Gig Harbor Marina
Join the festivities this evening, April 20, for the Paddlers Cup kick-off party at The Club @ the Boatyard from 5:30 to 8 p.m. The family-friendly party features swing dancing, food, beverages and fun for all ages.
Paddlers can check in for their races, pick up event T-shirts and skip the lines on race day. Late registration for Cross Narrows Challenge and Inner Harbor Races will also be available.
Saturday morning, Apr 21th – Cross Narrow Racing Crafts (crafts going out into the Tacoma Narrows open water)
Yes, you will see Paddlers take off going out of the harbor over to the Tacoma Narrows to Pt. Defiance and back- a total of 6.5 miles! There will be lots of vendors and on-going activities. Here is the race schedule for viewing:
- 8:00am Cross Narrows Challenge Begins
- 10:15am Cross Narrows Awards Presentation
- 11:00am Inner Harbor Distance Races Begin: 10K (4 laps) and 5 K (2 laps)
- 12:00 Lunch-time Award Presentation for Cross Narrows Races
- 1:30pm Sprint Knock Off Races Begin- these are a hoot to see!
- 3:30pm Inner Harbor Distance and Knock Off Sprint Race Awards Presentation
Sunday April 22 Dragon Boat Race Day (10 teams!!!)
- Races start at 12:30pm
- Awards at 3:30pm
If you haven’t seen Dragon Boats you need to come see these colorful boats decked out with dragon heads and racing to a drum beat. Betty will be in one of the boats- so come cheer us on!
Dragon Boat Racing is great fun for anyone. Any age or level of fitness can quickly adapt to this sport. If it looks interesting to you, you too can be a part of the team for the Spring & Summer by signing up The PenMet Parks website HERE.
While downtown Gig Harbor…
- Take a ride of the Gig Harbor Gondola
- Check out the Gig Harbor Marina where you can rent the Club @ the Boatyard venue for your private party or accommodations at the Guesthouse@ the Boatyard or the Fleet Suite Yacht- Suite Dreams or have a meeting at the Academy @ the Boatyard.
- Visit the Harbor History Museum, You need to know about your community history. Did you know that it is now FREE to come browse and learn about YOUR community history? You can also rent it for your own private party. Click on the link to see the rental details.